Saturday, May 23, 2009

For Your Kindness, I'm in Debt to You

So, back when I got tired of Mississippi, I moved to Boston and took a job at Perkins School for the Blind. Perkins is the largest school for the blind and developmentally disabled in the country. (Helen Keller attended their deaf-blind program.) I just found the job on the internet, applied, had a phone interview, and moved on up! I started off as a program aide and ended up as an assistant house parent at the end of my stay. Yeah, it was scary, but honestly, I didn't even think about it. It turned out to be one of the best moves of my life. It is such a special place and serves such special people. The kids, my co-workers, and the whole experience there taught me more than I could have ever learned anywhere else at that time in my life. Needless to say, I also made some of the best friends there that I will ever have.
Anyway, being the largest school for this specialty, they have a lot of resources. I've posted some videos from earlier this month at their Possibilities Gala where Natalie Merchant sang with the kids. I've been gone for too long because I only recognize a handful of them, but just watching these videos takes me back. I could go on and on, but these kids are some of the most talented I have ever heard sing or play an instrument. It really is amazing what God can do...





No comments:

Post a Comment